Gajim is a free software, instant messaging client for the Jabber (XMPP) protocol which uses the GTK+ toolkit. It runs on GNU/Linux, BSD and Windows.
The name Gajim is a recursive acronym for Gajim is a jabber instant messenger.
The goal of Gajim is to provide a full featured and easy to use Jabber client. Gajim works nicely with GNOME, but does not require it to run. It is released under the GNU General Public License.
Gajim should not be confused with Gaim, another instant messaging client.
- Tabbed chat window
- Group chat support (with MUC protocol)
- Emoticons, Avatars, File transfer, Room Bookmarks
- Metacontacts Support
- Trayicon, Speller, extented chat history functionalities
- TLS and GPG support (with SSL legacy support)
- Transport Registration support
- Service Discovery including Nodes
- Wikipedia, dictionary and search engine lookup
- Multiple accounts support
- DBus Capabilities
- XML Console
- Gajim is available in 22 languages: Basque, Belarusian, Brasilian, Breton, Bulgarian, Chinese (simplified), Croatian, Czech, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian (Bokm?l), Polish, Portugese, Russian, Spanish, Slovak and Swedish
You need to add Ubuntu universe repository, then use the command line and type:
apt-get install gajim
Happy Chatting and have a great day!