What is Site Meter?
Site Meter is a free, fast, and easy way to add a web counter to your web page. Not only does it display the number of visitors to your web site, it also keeps statistics on the number of visits each hour and each day.
Adding Site Meter to your web page
- Register to Site Meter.
- Login to your Site Meter.
- Go to Manager > HTML Code.
- Highlight the HTML code with your mouse.
- Copy it to your computer’s clipboard.
- Open your web page in an editor (like NotePad) that allows you to see the HTML of the page.
- Position the cursor in your page where you’d like the counter to go. A good place is at the bottom of the page right before the </BODY> tag. Paste it into your web page.
- Save your web page and upload it to your web server.
Adding Site Meter to WordPress
- Copy it to the clipboard.
- Login to WordPress.
- Click on the Presentations tab.
- Click on the Theme Editor tab.
- In the dropdown list at the top of the page, select the theme that you want to edit.
- Click on the Footer Template theme file from the list on the right side of the page.
- Paste the Site Meter code inside the div tag at the footer id of that template.
- Press the Update File button and Site Meter should show up on the pages of your weblog in the footer.
Adding Site Meter to WordPress – Plugin
Here is a WordPress plugin to automatically add the Site Meter tracking code to all your blog?s pages. It works with WordPress 1.5 and 2.0.
- Download the plugin.
- Unzip it and put the SiteMeter.php file into your plugins directory.
- Go to the WordPress plugins page and click on Activate to turn the plugin on.
- Go to the Options page and click on the Site Meter tab.
- Enter the codename of your Site Meter account.
- Press the Update Options button.
- That?s all there is to it.
Advantages and disadvantages of Site Meter
It’s about my opinions, but feel free to have your own opinions 😉
- It’s a free site tracker.
- Stats by email, email us site meter statistic.
- Ignore visits, block our own visit.
- Have traffic prediction. I like this feature very much 😀
- A visible site tracker, we must upgrade our membership to get an invisible one.
- Often get 00:00 visit length if only one page view.